With over 50 million people suffering from arthritis in the US, it is likely you are one of them. If you are having trouble with your joints, you may be suffering from arthritis. And if you are reading this article, you are probably wondering what you can do about your symptoms. At Space City Pain, we have an outstanding team with the best arthritis doctor in Webster, Texas, to guide you through your journey. And in this article, we’ll clear some doubts around this common ailment.
What Causes Arthritis?
There are multiple kinds of arthritis; in fact, over 150 different types. Out of those, the most common are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis and the causes of each differ.
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease. As such, it progressively affects the function and/or structure of the tissues, deteriorating them over time. This form of the disease manifests itself by the joints breaking down over time. It is the most common type of arthritis and is more common in older people. It happens when the cartilage and other tissues within the joint break down or change their structure.
But why might this happen? Changes in the tissue can trigger the breakdown, and it usually happens over time.
However, there are factors may make it more likely for you to develop the disease, such as:
- Being overweight, as it adds pressure to your joints
- History of injury or surgery to a joint
- Overuse from repetitive movements of the joint
- Joints that do not form correctly
- Family history of osteoarthritis
On the other hand, rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune condition. That is to say that the immune system attacks healthy body tissue. Unfortunately, specialists have not yet found what triggers this response. Normally, the immune system produces antibodies that attack bacteria and viruses, which help to fight infections. If the case is that you have rheumatoid arthritis, your immune system mistakenly sends antibodies to the lining of your joints. Once there, they attack the tissue surrounding the joint.
There are some risk factors that can influence your chances of suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. They include:
- Genetics. However, the risk of inheriting it is thought to be rather low.
- Hormones. It is more common in women than men, therefore a hypothesis is that estrogen might be involved.
- Smoking. Some evidence suggests that people who smoke have a higher risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis
An arthritis doctor in Webster can help you identify the causes and therefore design a personalized program to manage the symptoms.
What Are the Treatments for Arthritis?
Although no cure has yet been developed for arthritis, proper early diagnosis and a personalized treatment plan can help prevent permanent joint damage. After the diagnosis, our arthritis doctor in Webster at Space City Pain can recommend different approaches, such as:
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Pain relievers
- Special creams to disrupt pain signals from your joints
- Radiofrequency ablation. A procedure that burns nerves responsible for transmitting pain signals to your brain. It is minimally invasive and highly effective in combating pain.
- Nimbus treatments
👉 Related insights:
The Best Arthritis Doctor in Webster, Texas
At Space City Pain, we have top facilities for check-ups and diagnostic tests and world-class professionals who offer personalized attention and customized programs for treating arthritis.
Space City Pain has been a pioneer in pain management in the community since 2004 and continues to be at the forefront of pain care. Our friendly, bilingual, and highly specialized staff make up the best team to tackle your arthritis symptoms. At our offices, you’ll find the best sciatica doctor in Webster, Texas, serving also League City, Texas City, Clear Lake, Friendswood, and the surrounding areas.