Neuropathy is a disorder that occurs when your peripheral nerves are in glitch because of the damage. It can be caused by linear damage to the nerve, such as sports injury or car crash. Apart from this, it can be a consequence of the following conditions:
- Autoimmune disorders
- Lyme’s disease
- Exposure to toxins, such as heavy metals, mercury, arsenic, lead, and gold compounds
- Chronic liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Vitamin deficiency, particularly B12 and folate
- Viral infections (e.g., herpes)
Each nerve in your peripheral system has a specific role, so symptoms depend on the type of nerves affected. It is necessary to investigate the location of the numbness, the impaired movement, and activities that induce or exacerbate symptoms (e.g., is walking, sleeping, or repeated action).
Peripheral neuropathy symptoms might include:
- Extreme sensitivity to touch
- Muscle weakness
- Sharp, burning, throbbing, or jabbing pain
- Lack of coordination
Patients with peripheral neuropathy develop pain, burning, or tingling in the distribution of the affected nerves. Most commonly, this is in the feet or hands.
Neuropathy treatment is aimed at controlling and managing symptoms and preventing further nerve damage. Many things are performed to cure this problem and prevent it from getting worse, beginning with identifying and treating any underlying medical problem, such as diabetes or infections. Management of this condition may include:
- Physical therapy
- Regenerative therapy treatments to trigger your body’s naturally occurring healing systems
- TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation)
Space City Pain Specialists are well equipped to deal with minimizing the symptoms of neuropathy. Book an appointment today to improve your health.