Radiculopathy is a condition with a pinched nerve in the spine, caused by compressed, pinched, or damaged nerve roots or spinal nerve. This nerve root disorder can be encountered in many different areas of your spine. Therefore we may face:
- Lumbar radiculopathy – It occurs in the lower region of the spine and is associated with sciatica pain. This is the most frequent type of radiculopathy.
- Cervical radiculopathy – The most common symptom of cervical radiculopathy is pain that spreads into the neck, upper back, chest, arms, and shoulders.
- Thoracic radiculopathy – It can result from any pathologic process disrupting the spinal cord due to spinal nerve insult.
Depending on the radiculopathy type, people will experience different symptoms, depending on where in the spine the nerve compression occurs. The symptoms may include:
- Neck, shoulder, upper back, or arm pain
- Weakness or numbness typically experienced on one side
- Other unusual sensations in the legs or arms
- Sharp pain in your shoulders, back, arms, or legs
Risk factors for developing radiculopathy include:
- Herniated discs
- Bone spurs
- Compression fractures
- Spinal stenosis
- Poor posture
- Improper lifting techniques
- Repetitive motions
Radiculopathy can also be caused by:
- A family history of degenerative bone conditions
- Spine tumors
- Being overweight and obese
- Cauda equina syndrome
After reaching a diagnosis, your doctor develops a radiculopathy treatment plan designed specifically for you. Typically, radiculopathy is treatable without surgery, which may include the following:
- Physical therapy
- Steroid injections
- Ice and heat application
Schedule an appointment with Space City Pain Specialists to receive the best treatment for radiculopathy.