Undoubtedly, sciatica, or the pain produced by the involvement of the sciatic nerve, is one of the most disabling, requiring prompt resolution through a correct treatment plan.
For most patients with sciatica, conventional conservative treatments can greatly improve their condition by implementing techniques that help decompress the affected nerve roots. Both together and individually, the following treatments have reported good results:
- The application of heat and ice is one of the most commonly used methods, the first being a physical agent that relaxes the musculature and the second agent one that reduces inflammation.
- Taking NSAID-type anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, diclofenac, or naproxen, generally helps to improve the condition.
- If the pain is severe enough, epidural corticosteroid injections may be administered to improve inflammation.
- Massage therapy sessions have been shown to have good effects in improving blood circulation and relaxing muscles, releasing endogenous endorphins.
- Through the application of small needles into specific sites on the body, acupuncture can relieve back pain, including that generated by the sciatic nerve.
- Chiropractic, through spinal adjustments and manual therapy, can achieve the objective of providing an improvement at the level of the vertebral structure, being able to decompress the affected nerve roots.
- Physiotherapy is usually added to the therapeutic plan once the acute phase of pain has passed, and a rehabilitation plan can be designed to prevent a new onset of pain.
On the other hand, the invasive therapeutic option, or surgery, is usually reserved for the most extreme cases where the very severe pain is not the only symptom, adding a symptomatology that further complicates the situation, and when the aforementioned treatments do not work.
By scheduling an appointment over at Space City Pain Specialists, we can make you return to your daily activities in the shortest possible time thanks to the help of experts such as Dr. Jeffery Cannella and the application of preventative and regenerative care techniques, providing you all the tools that your body needs to heal and be capable of face everything in its way.
For more information, contact us at 281-338-4443 or schedule an appointment at https://spacecitypain.com/contact-us/ and you will receive the proper attention your case requires. Our team of experts located in the city of Webster will be available during working hours to answer all your inquiries and support you in your path to wellness.